Austria’s last coal-fired power plant has shut down after 34 years in operation. The CHP was located in the Mellach district in the Austrian state of Styria, owned by Austrian largest power provider Verbund.
Climate Protection Minister Leonore Gewessler commented on such an important event for the country and the development of green energy: “Austria is finally getting out of coal power supply and is taking another step towards phasing out fossil fuels. This also gives us economic independence: We are currently spending €10 billion on imports of coal, oil and gas.”
Today in Austria, about 75% of the electricity used is generated from renewable energy sources, with more than half being produced by hydroelectric power plants. And Austria plans to completely switch to electricity generated from RES in 10 years and become “climate-neutral” by 2040.
Code in external DB source: 1448
Back to the list